PF Kitchen: Lean Chicken Enchiladas
1 large can (3 cups) enchilada sauce
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups shredded reduced fat four cheese Mexican blend (I used the Aldi’s fit and active brand)
8 whole wheat tortillas
8 oz. (1 box) of Neufchatel cheese (I used Aldi’s fit and active brand)
1/2 cup green onion, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Pour enchilada sauce into a deep skillet; heat to boiling. Add chicken to sauce. Reduce to low to medium heat and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Remove the chicken from the sauce. Place chicken in mixing bowl. Use two forks to shred the chicken (pierce the chicken with one fork and hold it steady while slowly scraping the other fork, prongs faced backwards, away from the other fork).
4. Mix 4 oz. of Neufchatel cheese and 1 cup of Mexican blend cheese with chicken.
5. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
6. Add 4 oz. of Neufchatel cheese to enchilada sauce. Stir until blended while on medium to low heat.
7. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas and roll them up. Place seam side down in prepared baking dish.
8. Brush the tops of the enchiladas with a small amount of olive oil. Place the dish into the oven and bake uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until the tortillas begin to turn golden.
9. Remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese over the sauce. Garnish with green onion. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
10. Let stand 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
***Serve with cauliflower rice seasoned with Mexican spices and topped with sautéed peppers and onions! I use the steamable bags of cauliflower rice and then add the seasons I want. For sautéed peppers and onions, just use the frozen stir-fry mixes to save time!!!
Are you struggling to reach your fitness and weight loss goals? We are here to help! Click the picture below!!